Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dental Story

Once in a while I'll come home and tell Em one of the stories from work (with no private information in accordance with HIPPA, of course. I use code names such as E. Benes, or Elaine B.). For example, the story of the Dad who said: "Yeah, he eats lots of fruit. I give him skittles, fruit with a thin candy shell.


So the story of this week was the mom who reluctantly, yet proudly, told me that the five and a half year old girl had stopped using a bottle a whole 1.5 months ago!!! (She had cavities on about 15 of 20 teeth)*. Then mom brought up the problem of the child not drinking milk anymore because of the bottle having been taken by the Tooth Fairy! Now she'll only drink milk if its with her Cocoa Pebbles! "She's picky" mom adds.

I guess I'm not one to judge since my oldest child would only eat frozen chimichangas from Costco for a year, but then again I am the child's dentist so I can.

*Diagnosis: Severe Early Childhood Caries

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. The ignorance is amazing. Kinda like the lady who was in my kindergarten classroom 15 years ago and had her toddler come in from the playground and say she was thirsty. Well, she hooked the kid up and that was that. What...

Linz said...

Wow. I didn't have trouble taking the bottle away with either of my kids. I just took them away and offered cups. It took about 1/2 a day for them to switch. Hmmm...

Skittles... HAHAHA!

FOX said...

Come on, we have to be a little grateful for crazy people... otherwise what would we have to blog about!!

So was it regular skittles, or the tropical variety???? After all the tropical might have more vitamin C.

Jk

Bartimaeus said...

Sheba you were in Kindergarten 15 years ago?!

Foot Handle Pete said...

Never underestimate the ignorance(or the spelling challengedness) of the public. I heard that somewhere and it proves itself true over and over again. Sometimes you just want to slap some people, but you just have to try to nicely educate. I like to tell them that you are supposed to use the fuzzy end. (brush). :) FHP

Mel said...

Doug~~~~ You need to talk to my dad! He has lots of crazy stories like this! I admire what you do.... & how you handle the situations. I'd be behind bars for strangling the parents due to their stupidity. MEL

Matt said...

Yeah, Skittles clearly aren't a fruit, that's why I give my kids "fruit by the foot" because if you're going to give them fruit give them a whole bunch! (-;

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.